Marko Hautala’s (b. 1973) unique blend of psychological thriller and realism has attracted readers of all genres, earning him a reputation as the ’Finnish Stephen King’. Skilled at generating spine-tingling fear in his readers, he has been recognised for his literary prowess: his first novel The Self-Illuminated Ones (Itsevalaisevat, 2008) was awarded the Tiiliskivi Prize, and in 2010 Hautala received the Kalevi Jäntti Literary Prize for Young Authors for Shrouds. He was also nominated for the Young Aleksis Kivi Prize in 2013 for Seeing Eyes (Unikoira, Tammi 2012). His latest novel, The Whispering Girl was published in autumn 2016 (Tammi).
“Marko Hautala is a strongman. He twists the plot so hard that in the end the reader is left wondering how everything happened….for the first time Hautala channels pure horror…the character of Granny Hatchet carries such a chill that the temperature in the pit of a reader’s stomach seems to go down a few degrees.”
– Helsingin Sanomat newspaper, Finland
2016, Crime & Thriller
2014, Crime & Thriller
2011, Crime & Thriller
2012, Crime & Thriller
2009, Crime & Thriller
2018, Crime & Thriller
- 05.10.2018 Pre-Frankfurt deals and new reviews for our fiction highlights
- 15.08.2017 Highlights from WorldCon 75 in Helsinki
- 05.01.2017 The horror writer who scares himself: interview with Marko Hautala
- 29.11.2016 Film deals and glowing reviews: an amazing year for Tammi authors Salla Simukka, Tuutikki Tolonen, Max Seeck & more
- 07.11.2016 New deals for The Angels of Hammurabi by Max Seeck, and The Whispering Girl by Marko Hautala
- 18.08.2016 The Whispering Girl by Marko Hautala is now published and getting rave reviews!
- 12.11.2015 Thriller author Marko Hautala joins the Horror Writers Association!
- 25.09.2015 U.S. readers love Marko Hautala’s The Black Tongue!
- 02.06.2015 Euromedia acquires Czech rights to Granny Hatchet by Marko Hautala!
- 12.03.2015 German rights to Granny Hatchet by Marko Hautala sold to DTV
- 08.10.2014 World English rights to Marko Hautala’s Granny Hatchet sold to AmazonCrossing
- 10.09.2014 More critical praise for Marko Hautala’s Granny Hatchet
- 13.08.2014 Rave reviews for Marko Hautala’s Granny Hatchet
- 13.09.2013 Marko Hautala, Emmi Itäranta and Kristiina Vuori nominated for the Young Aleksis Kivi Prize 2013
- 08.02.2013 Marko Hautala’s Allucinazioni published in Italy
- 21.06.2011 Italian rights to Marko Hautala’s Shrouds sold to Newton & Compton
- 12.04.2011 Marko Hautala and Sami Hilvo get German readers
- 01.12.2010 Marko Hautala receives Kalevi Jäntti Literary Prize for 2010