Original title: Isämies ja hyytävä hypnoosi
Author: Arttu Unkari
Illustrator: Kai Vaalio
Genres: Chapter Books (6-9 Years), Middle Grade (8-12 Years)
Part of a series: Dad Man series
If students act well-behaved and don’t cause trouble, something’s seriously wrong.
· The third Dad Man title nominated for Runeberg Prize 2023 & Storytel Award 2023 (best children’s audio book)!
· 4 books available and more to come
· For fans of David Walliams and Captain Underpants
· A perfect “Gateway series to literature” for reluctant readers
· Anarchist plotlines and multilayered humour that appeals to all ages
· Bold and fresh 4-colour comic-book style artwork that add visual jokes to the narration
When Oona and Eeli's class gets a substitute teacher, strange things start to happen at school: the students become obedient, and at the same time get all excited about playing the recorder. Meanwhile, a strange series of factory fires keep policeman Dad Man busy, who, as usual, is vigorously chasing a false lead.
The appearance of the new teacher at the crime scenes makes Oona suspicious. Even the adults start to become obedient as the weird flute playing trend is spreading like wildfire and this time Eeli is of no help to Oona. Will Oona succeed on her own in stopping the substitute teacher from taking over the world?
Dad Man and the Horrible Hypnosis is a hilariously joyful work. There’s imaginative humour in the wild recklessness of the plot and the characters’ acts and mistakes. [--] Vaalio’s illustrations are also thrillingly full of expressions and instantly joyful. Some images also have so many small entertaining details that even if one spent minutes and minutes examining them, there’s always something new and fun to be discovered.
Toni Jerrman in Tähtivaeltaja magazine
FINLAND: Otava (orig.)