Tuutikki Tolonen is the author of several acclaimed children’s books, plays and academic articles. For Monster Nanny she received the Arvid Lydecken award. She teaches creative writing and has worked as an editor and reporter at Vinski, Finland’s only literary journal for children. Her inspiration for the Monster Nanny duology sparked during a family breakfast. “My son Leo, then six, said: ‘I heard on the radio yesterday that all moms have to go on vacation and monsters will take their places,” she says.
“Tuutikki Tolonen’s Monster Nanny is an original, fresh and skilfully constructed novel, which appeals seamlessly to both juvenile and adult readers. The characters are easy to identify with, the narration flows freely, and the mystery of the monsters soon has the reader hooked. Woven through the thrilling and good-natured adventure run the themes of friendship and understanding diversity. The book is suitable both for reading aloud, a desk book at school, and for devouring at the library or at home in one’s favorite reading nook. Monster Nanny has all the ingredients of a beloved children’s classic.”
– Arvid Lydecken judging panel
2020 Spring, Middle-Grade
- 04.02.2020 Portál in Czech Republic completes the Monster Nanny trilogy!
- 09.01.2020 New year’s sales for WEIRD WEATHER and MONSTER NANNY trilogy!
- 06.12.2019 3 new children’s deals: Weird Weather, Princess Rascal and Monster Nanny!
- 01.11.2019 4th pre-publication sale for AGNES AND THE GARDEN OF DREAMS
- 24.10.2019 Frankfurt Children’s Deals: Weird Weather, Agnes, Little Shop of Nightmares
- 08.10.2019 Russian rights sold for Agnes and the Garden of Dreams!
- 20.08.2019 Allen & Unwin acquires Australian and New Zealand rights to Monster Nanny!
- 08.08.2019 NEW CHILDREN’S DEALS
- 02.05.2019 New sales for Monster Nanny, Little Mouse and The Monster Tournament
- 29.03.2019 New deals for Monster Nanny in Portugal and Czech Republic – rights sold in 24 territories
- 07.03.2019 Hanser Verlag acquires German rights to Monster Nanny Book 3: The Monster Message
- 05.10.2018 Monster Nanny sold to 22 languages, new reviews for our children’s highlights
- 03.08.2018 Breaking news for Monster Nanny feature film: Screen Australia invests in development
- 03.05.2018 Recent children’s book deals & reviews: monsters, virtual realities and nonfiction
- 19.12.2017 Ahlback Agency December Newsletter
- 01.08.2017 Monster Nanny now sold in 21 territories!
- 09.06.2017 The Agency celebrates its 8th anniversary with 3 new deals and great reviews
- 01.06.2017 Deals round-up: monsters, goddesses, and rave reviews
- 04.05.2017 Children’s books: spring deals and reviews round-up
- 12.04.2017 Monster Nanny and Maresi deals follow Bologna Book Fair